Friday, July 27, 2012

Reflections on Class July 27th

As nervous as I originally was for my Evernote presentation, I really loved class today and all the interaction that today's class entailed. We've done a lot of experimenting with group teaching and projects so far this semester (more than in any other class I've ever taken!) But today's group work was really well needed for me. I really enjoyed the aspect of teaching eachother the website. It was a really effective way to teach this particular material as it allowed us to all sit in our small groups and show eachother, practice sharing files with eachother, while simultaneously interacting/discussing. A really great relaxing Friday class. I am not sure that I would have retained everything that I did if this class was setup in lecture format. I think if Kristin and Jeff had decided to teach us all of these websites in front of the class, I definitely would not have been able to focus, especially after a long week of classes. The small group interactive discussion and presentations was a good touch and overall amazing way to cover this material. I loved it.

We didn't have a whole lot to talk about with Skype although we got into some pretty good discussions about it. We found that we actually all had Skype already downloaded onto our computer. The discussion that we got into about Skype involved ways in which it could be incorporated into a classroom. Some argued that it wouldn't really be helpful at all, and with guest speakers it would allow students to tune out even more than if the guest speaker was there in person. I didn't agree with this opinion, although I could see how it could happen. I took a class last semester at U of M (Rust Belt Narratives with Jeremiah Chamberlin -- AMAZING), where our professor would Skype in the authors of the books we read so we could talk to them about their process writing their respective novel. It was absolutely awesome. Before then, I didn't think about Skype being used in the educational field, but the flexibility that it entails is amazingly convenient. Without Skype, there was no way our professor could have these professors come in to talk to us. It wasn't like he could just fly them in on a moment's notice. They could however sit in their office on a half hour break and log onto Skype to talk to us. Amazing. And I know for everyone who doesn't think this would be helpful in a secondary classroom would argue that the student's aren't as engaged because they aren't really there by choice. But disengaged student's are always going to be somewhat of an issue, in every classroom settings. Skype theoretically could maximize guest speakers in classrooms because it wouldn't be as much of a hassle to get them physically at the school, and distance isn't limited!

Oh boy, this is going to be a long post.

So Evernote, I wasn't as sold on. This was the website that I researched and learned about. There are some awesome features on it, actually there wasn't anything on it that I didn't think was awesome. It was more an issue of "OH my gosh there is so much to do on this website--I am now overwhelmed." I think I would need some time to really sit down with it and organize my stuff into it, and then I would really value it. I also think that at this phase of my life, I don't have an exact need for a website like Evernote, since I am always carting around my own computer with me. But I am so happy I got to learn about it because one day I bet I will be needing something handy to sort out all of my teaching/classroom stuff.

Dropbox was pretty impressive too. I really like this one. I honestly couldn't think of a reason why I wouldn't just save everything to Dropbox anyway. And I wish I would have known about this during my whole undergrad education here! I could probably name at least 15 times when I emailed myself the wrong document from the Fishbowl and lost papers and had to start all over ... very, very lame. And yes, there were tears involved in every one of those times. This website is honestly probably going to be instantly incorporated into my life.

Finally Diigo. Super cool! I was also a little overwhelmed by all of the amazingness, but I loved that we learned about this now, because I will be using this now for the rest of the school year for sure! A lot of the tools that it offers are tools I could really use right now. Especially the highlighting and bookmarking. And the groups were also fascinatingly convenient.

Overall, super impressed with this class. I loved the setup and the material that we learned. So helpful! I can honestly say that I am excited about my new life that involves several of these new websites.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Abigail. I'm glad you pointed out how useful Skype can be in the classroom. I did my presentation on Skype and I was amazed at the different ways educators can incorporate Skype into their classrooms. It's wonderful that you've already had that experience with one of your classes at UM. Sometimes it's too expensive or too complicated to get a guest speaker to come and speak. Skype removes the complications presented by money, distance, and time.

    There's a great website, education.skype.com, which connects educators to professionals, experts, etc. in certain fields. Just search and find. So say, for instance, you are a science teacher who really wants someone to talk to your class about the North and South poles. This website can help you find an expert on cold (freezing really!) climates.

    As for evernote, I would say give it a chance. Some of the technology I find a little overwhelming. In truth, sometimes it's more difficult to keep track of all the technological tools that are supposed to help me than to actually do things with pen and paper. But I've found evernote to be invaluable this semester. It is hands down the best organizer I've ever used. It's so easy. There are check boxes, tables, and you can put pictures and audio clips directly into your documents. It also makes it really easy to see multiple documents in one folder and switch between them. Perhaps, when you have a little time, try using it. And you don't have to use the website. Download the app. That way it stays on your doc and is easily accessible.

    Ah, sorry for the long post! I enjoyed reading your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not at all! Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post of mine :) And thanks for the really convincing advice on Everynote too. Loved what you had to say about it. I will really have to look into that, it sounds exciting now that you say that you use it and it's super convenient. Awesome. I will have to check out that skype sight too! Super interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I only use a few tools in Evernote, a lot of people swear by the to-do list feature.

    ReplyDelete